f you want to create a classic Mediterranean look on your house, then you can install the clay tiles on the roof. They not only look attractive and beautiful but in fact these tiles change the overall look of the whole scenario. There are many other advantages of the clay roof tiles for which these are used and have been found to be successful in almost all the weather types and areas. First of a clay roof tiles are very light in weight and in spite of being light weight, these tiles are very durable. These two qualities of the clay roof tiles make them ideal to be used on roofs of homes and in all the different kinds of areas.
As far as the insulation factor is concerned the clay tiles offer much better insulation as compared to the other tile materials like ceramic or such. There are certain important points which must be considered while installing the clay roof tiles. For example one must be particular about the size and color selection of the tiles. Another important factor is the installation method of the tiles. Following are some important points which must be kept in mind while working with the clay tiles.
Selecting the right slope for clay tiles:
The clay tiles work very well when these are installed on the slope of more than 20 degrees. This is the best slope measurement for the clay tiles. With an increase in the slope, the aesthetic value of the tiles increases and this feature makes them ideal for the roofs of cathedral style. Before you start installing the clay tiles make sure that the surface of roof is leveled otherwise the tiles will not be fixed properly. In order to level the surface of roof, apply some mortar or s thin set product.
Having the roofing underlay to optimum level:
After selecting for the slope of tiles, the next very important consideration is the decision of roofing underlay. If you are going to install the clay tiles then you must have a huge roofing underlay. The kind of material you use below the tiles as a base is very critical because on this material the whole tile structure will be based. In fact this factor is major in deciding the durability of the tiling on roof.
Usually the underlay on roof is created from the roofing material with asphalt saturation's and it covers the whole area below the tiles. The material used below the clay tile is a critical factor that will affect the tile's durability. You must ensure the proper attachment of the tiles with underlay otherwise you may end up in overlying of the tiles within no time after their installation.
After setting the tiles, you must make sure that they are properly installed and the tiles set on the base of the asphalt mixture. This is the key point of installation of the clay tiles. While moving towards the edges it is recommended to install an extra layer of underlay on the edges of roof. This is meant for the protection of the surface of roof. If you are using No. 30 asphalt impregnated roofing felt, then use its two layer and in case of No. 43 felt, single layer is enough.
Selection of the clay tile of right kind:
This selection is made on the basis of the climate of your area, its geographical location and the over layout of the building. Generally following kinds of clay tiles are used commonly.
The slate tiles are consisting of the rectangular sections in varying sizes and thickness.
Plain tiles consist of the smaller sections of clay with either a smooth or sanded finish on its surface.
Another distinctive tile comes in an S shape.
Last but not the least are the roman tiles consisting of a cross section and small roll.
If you are facing problems during the installation of clay roof tiles then in that case you really need to contact professional Residential roofing contractors
in Michigan for assistance.
Tile roofs: Not just for warmer climates
There is a misconception about tiles, that they are only suitable for warm weather. A research has shown that tiles can be used regardless of weather. The advanced technology has made tiles as one of the most used roofing material. The tiles are same for all weather; the only visible difference is the way it is installed.
Students of MIT have developed a sensitive roof tile, which turns black in cold weather and absorb heat. The same happens in summer; the tile changes its color in white and reflects heat in hot weather.
The reasons why the roof is considered as the most popular roofing material all over the globe is because of its durability, long life, energy effective. Here are some valid points which support the fact that tile roofs are suitable for all weather and not just warmer ones.
- Red tiles are immune to sunlight and have a longer life than any other roofing material. Asphalt shingles lose their color, when exposed to the sun. The UV rays can damage asphalt shingles easily.
- The new study shows that roof tiles can keep the house cooler in warm weather and helps to reduce the energy bill. The space of air between the deck and thermal mass of the tiles help to reduce the heat flow. The attic can stay cooler by 70%. When the attic stays cool the house will eventually cool down, minimizing the use of air-conditions or generators. Roof tiles playing a vital role in decreasing the energy bills.
- Areas with heavy rain and snow needs special tiles to stop ice damming and sliding. Roof tiles now come in many designs and with devices that helps in reduction of ice damming. These tiles are prone to ventilation and snow retention.
- Standard weight tiles are good enough to endure heavy hailing or rain. Extra fasteners are used at the time of installation to keep the tiles safe from extremely heavy wind. In case the hail damage the tile, it can be replaced with the new ones. The damage can be fixed; there is no need for changing all the tiles. Tiles are affordable and easy to replace or fix.
- Mounted surface and flashings are installed to drain debris or tree sticks in case of heavy rainfall. Usually the leaves are left behind after a storm or rainfall. The counter-batten system is used to safeguard the tile roof and makes sure all the water and debris is drained.
- Roof tiles are available in many designs and types. These tiles can give a look of a historical building as well as of a beautiful little cottage. Cedar shake is one of the examples; it is available in so many colors and shapes and looks like brand-new. Roof tiles were mostly seen in England with little cottage homes.
- Tiles are designed for long term fruition. Roofing tiles made it to longest lifespan record, beating all the other roofing materials behind. Thanks to the new designs, this allows ventilation and water shedding. It also protects the roof from ice damming. It works perfectly fine for cold and warm weather.
- Tiles are available in standard weight as well as light weight. It depends on the strength of the building, which has to bear the weight of the tiles. Light weight tiles are also strong to safeguard your house from rain and storms. Even if any of the tile damages it can be changed.
- The tiles are easy to maintain and quite affordable. The myth that tiles are only suitable for warm weather is not true anymore.
If you happened to live in Ann Arbor and your roof is damaged because of improper maintenance then you may need to consult Roofing and Siding companies in Ann Arbor Michigan
for professional advice.